Tuesday, July 13, 2010

FINALLY some inventory!

I've been making a lot of prototypes the past week to test out what I'd like to sell.  I like this part - it's fun to try something new, figure out what I'd like to change, and make it again.  Typically when I make something for the kids or as a gift I'm only making one, so I don't have the opportunity to change it around and make it better.  Here is a roll-up changing pad and bib I just made.  I started with this great tutorial for the changing pad and this one for the bib, both from Sew4Home.  Using these as a starting point, I'm going to redesign both and make them my own.

I don't like how the bias tape turned out on the bib.  I think the curves around the snaps are so tight that I just don't like the bunchy-ness (is that a word?) of the bias tape.  My favorite bibs of Graham's have a pocket on the front to catch crumbs so I think I'll add that on, too.  Also, I really don't like the contrast topstitching on the changing pad - instead of looking intentional I think it just looks sloppy.  I want to redesign the size and shape as well.

On a positive note, I finally have some inventory!  I've been finishing up a stack of sweet little stuffed bunnies, a copy of a bunny I made for Bridget when she was a baby that she loves.  My husband told me I had to make them.  I think he really just wants one for himself.


Yesterday I got a sweet stack of fabric in the mail, and I have two more shipments coming in the next couple days.  Oh boy, am I loving having an excuse to buy lots of fabric again!  I had put myself on a fabric buying diet until I used up what I have.  I almost felt guilty shopping my favorite fabric stores (like Fat Quarter Shop and fabric.com) but that guilt is quickly subsiding.  I'm loving the sale alerts on True Up - thanks to the last sale post, I found an Etsy fabric store going out of business and scored some great deals!

Today I'm going to set up a light box for product photos in my sewing room and finish up those bunnies.  Oh yeah, and maybe I should go to the grocery store so we don't have to eat animal crackers and baby cereal for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...